Thursday 14 October 2010

Introducing the delightful Mr Ben!






During my little exploration of Glasgow city centre, I stumbled across a vintage clothing store nestled in a shopping arcade called Kings Court, situated halfway down Kings Street. The bright yellow exterior of Mr Ben caught my eye as I walked by. The excitement of discovering some new vintage treasures pulled me straight inside…. and I wasn’t disappointed!

The store is packed to the rafters with amazing men’s and women’s vintage/retro clothing, accessories and footwear and the shop’s slightly eccentric décor with pretty chandeliers and old photo covered changing room is a pleasure to behold. I didn’t know where to look first!

I had a chat with the lovely owner Mary Ann and found out a little bit about the store and her love for vintage….

What is the history of the store? When was it first opened?

I opened the store nearly 15 years ago. Can’t believe it was that long ago, MUST BE LOVE!

Why vintage?

I have collected vintage clothing from the age of ten or so, in those days it was considered a bit bizarre. Being someone that wore vintage was very much a minority passion then. I even considered calling the shop Le Bizarre.

What or who inspires you?

I had a passion for the glamorous, the kitsch, and the eccentric and I guess vintage just covered all those bases. To this day I still step back in wonder at some of the items I have inherited in one way or another. I take great pleasure when I find the right home for an item, that more than anything inspires me.

What’s your most treasured piece of vintage clothing?

I cannot choose a favourite item; it’s akin to asking a mother to pick a favourite child. My personal collection, after thirty years is quite considerable, so I will have to give it some thought.

What is your favourite decade and why?

The 1920’s or the 1960’s, again I can’t chose. They are both decades of huge shocking changes in fashion, filled with youthful vigour and female emancipation.


If you ever find yourself on Kings Street in Glasgow be sure to check out Mr Ben or you can get more info at www.mrbenretroclothing.com.

Stay tuned for future collaborations…..

Vintage rules!

Modern Milly xx

No comments:

Post a Comment